Title in succession: 7th
Date created: 1361 (1st December 1792)
Grant by: Grand Master Emanuel de Rohan-Polduc
Granted To: (Pellegrino) Filippo Apap
Remainder to: to all his legitimate and natural descendants or to first
born female in default
Present Holder: Philip Frederick Apap Bologna
British crown recognition: 1878
Feudal Tribute: a musket every year on the feast of St. Martin, Pope,
The title of Gnien-is-Sultan was first created
in 1361 and granted to the Pellegrino family.
The present creation was
granted in 1792 to Filippo Apap, who was a Jurat and Deputy. Created a
Marquis by Grand Master de Rohan-Polduc with remainder to his legitimate
and natural male descendants in perpetuity and in the absence of male
issue to the first born female descendants.
in History: Marquis Paolo Nicola Apap Bologna, 5th Marquis of Gnien is-Sultan,
was made President of the Society of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce in 1933, faced
further Gov't control in its attempt to remove classes from society. On the
pretext of a better organised national education but perhaps more due to the
language problem the Gov't had set its eyes on the society classes. The minutes
of the meeting held on 6th May 1933 was typed for the first time and recorded
the death of deacon Mons. Gius. Depiro, the Honorable mention of Sur Ugo Mifsud.
On the break of war the sede had to close its doors and the President left
Valletta and moved to his Villa in Attard. Mr.Victor Brincat and Antonio
Portelli looked after the building whilst bombing was taking place at Valletta,
on St.Elmo Fort. Voting curiously enough took place by post, and no meeting took
The marquisate had been
inherited from son to son or grandson right up to the present holder, the
Felicissimo Apap-Bologna, 4th Marquis protracted a
lawsuit with luisa Bonici-Mompalao for the title of Count of Catena,
though the Maltese court upheld their decision for Luisa Bonici-Mompalao`s
son, Sir Gerald Strickland, G.C.M.G, later Baron Strickland of Sizergh in
the United Kingdom.
Carmelo Apap-Bologna-Scberras-d'Amico-Inguanez, (c 1939-, 23rd Barone di
Djar-il-Bniet e Buqana, the Premier Holder of Malta) Married 1962 to Anne
The Late Marquis of
A Genealogical Account of the Marquis's di
Gnien is Sultan
Paolo Nicolo Apap Bologna (1880-1955), 5th
Marquis di Gnien is Sultan, married 1889 to Maria Theresa De Piro in
1895,and secondly to Giuseppina dei Conti Caruana Gatt.
Marriage) Filippo Antonio Apap Bologna (c 1901-54), Marchesino di
Gnien is Sultan , married 1933 to Wilfreda Gollcher
1.1. John Anthony
Apap Bologna (c1934- Deceased), 6th Marchese di Gnien is Sultan, married
firstly 1957 to Elizabeth Cassar-Torreggiani, married secondly to Audrey
1.1.1. (First marriage) Philip Frederick Apap Bologna,
7th Marchese di Gnien is Sultan (c 1962-, married 1985 to Corinne
18.104.22.168. Richard Apap Bologna (c 1991-, Marchesino di Gnien is
22.214.171.124. Elizabeth Apap Bologna (c 1991-
1.1.2. Stephen Apap
Bologna (c 1967-
1.1.3. Angela Apap Bologna (c 1959-,
1.1.4. Sandra Apap Bologna (c 1965- , married 1991 to
Peter dei Conti Sant Manduca
1.2. Anthony Apap Bologna (c 1935-,
married 1963 to Helga Zahra-Neuman
1.2.1. Carlo Apap Bologna (c
1.2.2. Roberto Apap Bologna (c 1965-
1.2.3. Gabrielle Apap
Bologna (c 1973-
1.3. Louis Apap Bologna (c 1944-, married 1972 to
1.3.1. Frederica Apap Bologna (c 1978-
Joseph Apap Bologna BA, LL.D (c 1948-, married 1984, Maria Helena
2. (First Marriage) Alexander Apap-Bologna dei Marchese
di Gnien is Sultan, married to Maria Pilar de Piro (c 1911-44)
Carmelo Apap-Bologna-Scberras-d'Amico-Inguanez, (c 1939-, 23rd Barone di
Djar-il-Bniet e Buqana, the Premier Holder of Malta. Married 1962 to Anne
Apap-Bologna-Sceberras--d'Amico-Inguanez (c 1963-, Baroncino di
2.1.2. Kristina Apap-Bologna (c
2.1.3. James Apap-Bologna (c 1967-
2.1.4. Stefanie Apap-Bologna (c 1971-
2.1.2. Marlene Apap Bologna (c 1941-, married
1960 to Austin Attard Montalto
3. Felicissmo Apap Bologna (c
4. Mario Apap Bologna (c 1907-
5. Adelina Alexandra Apap
Bologna (c 1902-
A full Genealogical tree with history
Gio Antonio Apap, married Imperia Borg (Daughter of
1. Giacoma Apap, married 1585 to Paolo Pontremoli,(son of Salvo) with issue
2. Margherita Apap, married Carlo Colonna
3. Giuseppe Apap-
4. Domenico Apap "Canon" in Gozo
5. Angelica Apap married Nicole Angelico.........
6. Anton Apap, married Clerica....
Giuseppe Apap, married Caterina Anastasio (Daughter of
Ferdinand and Isabella.)
1. Ferdinand Apap, 'Priest'
2. Micheal Angelo Apap
3. Angelica Apap, married Andrea Axiac, with issue
3.1. Arcangelo Axac
3.2. Caterina Axac
3.3. Felice Axac
4. Innocenza Apap
5. Simone Apap,-
6. Isabella Apap, married Ludovico Fava
Simone Apap, married 1627 to Francesca Fava (Daughter of
Cristoforo and Aloisea Bellia)
1. Rafaele Apap 'Augustine Monk"
2. Anna Marie Apap
3. Giulia Apap
4. Judge Simone Apap-
Judge Simone Apap, married 1694 to Generosa Ducoss (Daughter of
Michele and Margarita)
1.Albino Apap Ducoss-
Albino Apap Ducoss,Giurato in Malta, and Captain of the
Reggimento di Fanteria di Mdina married 1719 Noble Grazia Vassallo (Daughter of
Noble Aloiseo and Eufemia)
1. Generosa Apap
2. Michele Apap
3. Andrea Apap
4. Maria Apap
5. Aloiseo Apap
6. Marcella Apap
7. Filippo Apap , died 1812. 1st Marquis-
8. Gaetano Apap
Filippo Apap , died 1812. 1st Marquis di Gnien is Sultan,
Created in 1792 by GrandMaster de Rohan-Polduc.married 1769 to Anna Maria
Mallia-Tabone dei Marchese dei Fiddien
1. Gio Antonio Apap C.M.G. 2nd Marquis-
Gio Antonio Apap C.M.G. 2nd Marquis di Gnien is Sultan, died
1845, married 1805 to Angelica Testaferrata Bonici dei Marchese di San Vincenzo
Ferreri, with issue.
1. Dr Filippo Apap LL.D, 3rd Marquis-
2. Giovanna Rosa Apap Bologna, married 1830 to Gio Francesco Sant Cassia, 9th
Baron di Ghariexem e Tabia , 4th Count Sant (see Sant)
3. Luigi dei Marchese Apap , married 1840 to Rosalea Testaferrata de Noto, with
3.1. Guiseppe Apap Testaferrata, Created Marquis Apap Testaferrata 1889 by the
Papacy, married 1874 to Donna Rosina dei Principe Sabatini, with out issue.
Dr Filippo Apap LL.D, 3rd Marquis di Gnien is
Sultan (c 1812-73),
married firstly in 1829 to Maria Teresa Sceberras Bologna dei Conti della
Catena, with issue
Married Secondly in 1839 to Francesca Sceberras Bologna dei Conti della Catena
1. (First Marriage) Felicissimo Apap Bologna (c 1834-94), 4th Marquis-
2. Paolina Apap Bologna, married 1849 to Giorgio dei Conti Sant-Fournier, with
2. (Second Marriage) Nicholas Gaetan Apap Bologna (c 1841-
3. Mary Apap Bologna
4. Angelica Apap Bologna , married 1845 to Calcedonio Galea Feriol, 7th Baron di
San Marciano (see Galea-Feriol)
Felicissimo Apap Bologna (c 1834-94), 4th Marquis di Gnien is
Sultan, de Jure Count of Catena., married 1872 to Maria Carmela Manduca dei
Conti della Montalto
1. Paolo Nicolo Apap (c 1880-1955) , 5th Marquis-
2. Nicholas Apap Bologna, (1883-) Ph.D, D.D, D.C.L. Archdeacan of Mdina Cath.,
3. Mary Nicolina Apap Bologna, (1875-) , married 1901 to Capt Jerome de Piro,
7th Baron di Budaq (see de Piro)
4. Mary Angelica Apap Bologna, (1878-)
5. Mary Rosaria Apap Bologna, (1873-)
Paolo Nicolo Apap (c 1880-1955) , 5th Marquis di Gnien is
Married first (1895) to Maria Teresa de Piro Gourgion dei Baroni della Budaq,
with issue (see Note 1)
Second marriage to Giuseppina Caruana Gatto dei Conti della Beberrua, daughter
of 3rd Count Beberrua, with
further issue (Maria Teresa Apap Bologna et Caruana Gatto, Countess of Beberrua)
1. (first marriage) Dr Filippo Antonio Apap Bologna LL.D , Marchesino di Gnien
is Sultan (c 1901-54), Married 1933 to Wilfreda Gollcher, with issue
1.1. John Anthony Apap Bologna , 6th Marquis-
1.2. Anthony Apap Bologna (c 1935-, married Helga Zahra Neumann, with issue
1.2.1. Carlo Apap Bologna (c 1963-
1.2.2. Roberto Apap Bologna (c 1965-
1.2.3. Gabriella Apap Bologna (c 1973-
1.3. Louis Apap Bologna B.A (Hons) (c 1944., married 1972 to Bernardette
Darmanin, with issue
1.3.1.Dr. Frederica Apap Bologna, MD. (c 1978- married 2003 to Dr. MARK SANT,
1.4. Dr Joseph Apap Bologna B.A, L.L.D (c 1948-, married 1984 to Maria Helena
2. Dr. Felicissmo (Felix Dominic) Maria Apap Bologna, M.D., (c 1903-87), married
Pauline Josephine Gouder Carbone, with issue
2.1. Maresa Apap Bologna, B.A (Hons) , married 1973 to Gordon Henry Elliot
2.1.1. Andrew Elliot, B.A (Hons)., M.Sc. (1975-
2.1.2. Adrian Elliot (1977-, B.A (Hons)., M.A.
2.1.3. Julian Elliot (1983-
2.2. Elizabeth Apap Bologna, (1950-
2.3. Marina Apap Bologna, (1953-
2.4. Christine Apap Bologna, B.A. (Hons) (Econ.), married 1993 to Tarcisio
2.4.1. Laura Pedrotti (1994-
3. Alexander Apap Bologna (1906-81), married to Maria Pilar de Piro dei Baroni
della Budaq, with issue
3.1. Dr Carmelo Apap Bologna Sceberras D'Amico Inguanez M.D, F.R.C.S., 23rd
Baron di Djar-il-Bniet e Buqana-(See Djar-il-Bniet e Buqana)
3.2. Marlene Apap Bologna Sceberras D'Amico Inguanez (c 1941-, married Austin
Attard Montalto, with issue (See Attard Montalto)
4. Col Mario Apap Bologna (c 1907- , married Amy Gatt Rutter, with issue.
4.1. Michael Apap Bologna, married to Patricia Bianchi, with issue.
4.1.1. Paul Apap Bologna, married 2003 to Greta Trapani Galea Feriol dei Baroni
di San Marciano.
4.2. Peter Apap Bologna.
4.3. Anna Apap Bologna, married to Leo Vassallo Cesario.
5. Adeline Alexandra Apap Bologna (c 1902- ), dunm.
6. (Second marriage) Maria Teresa Apap Bologna Caruana Gatto , 8th Countess di
John Anthony Apap Bologna , 6th Marquis di Gnien is Sultan (c
1934- died in the late 1990's),
married, 1957 to Elizabeth Cassar Torreggiani with issue.
Second marriage to Audrey Griffiths with no issue.
1. Philip Apap Bologna, (c 1962-. (Acknowledged
by the COP as the 7th Marquis of Gnien is-Sultan), married Corinne Mizzi,
1.1. Richard Apap Bologna (c 1991-
1.2. Elizabeth Apap Bologna (c 1989-
2. Stephen Apap Bologna (c 1967-, married June, 2000 to Daniela Bisazza
3. Dr Angela Apap Bologna PhD, married 4 June 1988 to Dr Lindsay Wood PhD, with
3.1. Francesca Elizabeth Wood, born 27 August 1993.
3.2. Stephanie Alexandra Wood, born 3 March 1999.
4. Alexandra aka Sandra Apap Bologna (c 1967- , married 1991 to Peter dei Conti Sant
Manduca) with issue
(IF THERE ARE ANY UPDATES TO ANY TREES,
PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO '[email protected] or [email protected] '
stating site you seen the genealogical tree and
References: 1) Gauci,C.A.," The Genealogy and
Heraldry of the Noble Families of Malta", Gulf Publishing Ltd, Malta,
2) Gauci,C.A.," The Genealogy and Heraldry of the Noble Families
of Malta, Volume Two", Publishers Enterprises Group (PEG) Ltd, 1992.
Gauci,C.A and Mallet, P.,"The Palaeologos Family- A Genealogical Review"
,Publishers Enterprises Group (PEG) Ltd, 1985
4) Gauci, C.A.," A Guide
to the Maltese Nobility", Publishers Enterprise Group (PEG) Ltd, Malta,
5) Montalto, J., "The Nobles of Malta-1530-1800", Midsea Books
Ltd, Malta, 1980.
6) De Piro, N., "Casa Rocco Piccola", The Conde' Nast
Publications 1999.' Http://www.vol.net.mt/casarocca '
7) Giles Ash, S.,
"The Nobility of Malta", Publishers Enterprises Group (PEG) Ltd,
8) Said Vassallo, C.M., Unpublished research papers.
9) Sant Fournier, Unpublished research papers.
Vassallo, C.M., http://www.maltagenealogy.com/